Kevin Whitmee Park is set to open to the public on 22 August 2015.
The park is named in honour of Tingalpa local Kevin Whitmee, who is well known in the district for his long standing contribution to Tingalpa State School, the Belmont Tingalpa Lions Club and various charity and philanthropic causes.
Mr Whitmee will be honoured by an official Park Opening Ceremony at 12:30pm on 22 August 2015 where Lord Mayor Graham Quirk and I will pay tribute to his service.
The park was named Kevin Whitmee Park after a survey of 356 local residents found 74.2% in favour of the change.
Kevin's community contributions include:
- Founder of the Belmont/Tingalpa Progress Association
- Area coordinator for the annual Cancer Research Door Knock Appeal
- Tingalpa SS P&C Treasurer from 1995 – 2002
- Tingalpa SS After School Care Treasurer from 1997 – 2002
- Tingalpa State School Fete Convenor 1997
- Wynnum High School P&C 2002-2007
- JEIPS Committee member at Wynnum High School 2004 – 2007
- Treasurer of Belmont-Tingalpa Lions Club 2005 - current
- Fought against the proposed parallel runway expansion at Brisbane Airport and the toxic waste dump on Fleming Road
- Fought the chlorine plant over lax environmental safeguards
The Belmont Tingalpa Lions Club are generously running a free Sausage Sizzle, Face Painting and Jumping Castle to help celebrate this momentous occasion for Kevin and his family.
All local residents are invited to come along and join in the festivities.
I hope to see you there.