Brisbane City Council is planning to upgrade the intersection of Meadowlands Road and Belmont Road, Belmont.
The Meadowlands Road and Belmont Road intersection was identified as a location within the local road network that requires an upgrade to reduce congestion, improve safety and cater for future traffic demands.
This upgrade is part of Council’s $1.3 billion commitment to more than 90 road improvement projects to take real action on congestion, by focusing on a range of solutions to improve the existing road network, getting residents home quicker and safer.
Investigation works undertaken in mid-2017 identified that the existing intersection currently operates at capacity in the morning and afternoon peaks, with significant queues and delays experienced by motorists.
Meadowlands Road and Belmont Road are two suburban routes that provide vital connectivity for the Tingalpa, Gumdale and Belmont areas.
The intersection upgrade will involve:
- widening Meadowlands Road on the southern side
- extending the left-turn lane along Meadowlands Road into Belmont Road by approximately 150 metres
- installing new 1.5-metre-wide on-road bike lanes on the northern and southern sides of Meadowlands Road leading to Belmont Road
- installing bike off-ramps for safe transition between on-road and off-road cycle facilities
- installing 205 metres of new guardrail on the southern side of Meadowlands Road
- upgrading sections of existing footpath at the intersection
- resurfacing a section of Meadowlands Road
- reinstating existing and installing new line marking.
In order to upgrade the intersection, Council has identified a number of trees and shrubs will need to be removed as part of the project. All work will be carried out in accordance with the relevant environmental guidelines and Council will make every effort to minimise environmental impacts during construction. Vegetation impacts will be offset in accordance with Council policies and relevant legislative requirements.
Council is finalising the detailed design for the intersection upgrade and construction is expected to be completed in mid-2018, weather and construction conditions permitting.
Further information will be provided to the community closer to the start of construction.
For more information
If you would like further information, please contact the project team on 1800 884 681 during business hours or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information outside of business hours, please call Council’s 24-hour contact centre on (07) 3403 8888.